Professor of Practice Positions
- Appointees in the Professor of Practice category are distinguished professionals, either practicing or retired. A few may have traditional academic backgrounds, but most do not. The working title of Professor of Practice helps promote the integration of academic scholarship with practical experience. Appointees provide faculty, undergraduate students, and graduate students with an understanding of the practical applications of a particular field of study. These positions will be limited term contractual positions, and will be for the purpose of teaching courses, advising students, and setting up research collaborations in areas related to their expertise and experience.
- 1. Responsibilities/Expectations: They may be involved in designing and teaching courses, research and development activities, setting up research collaborations, promoting industry-institute linkages, consulting assignments, entrepreneurship-related activities, contribute in placement-related activities and other institutional initiatives.
- 2. Appointment Method: These positions will be offered on a consolidated basis for a limited period of up to 3 years. The appointment may be on full-time or part-time basis. Appointment is done through a Faculty Selection Committee with at least two industry experts.
- 3. Terms of Appointment and Compensation:
- (a) Appointment duration: Typical appointment will be up to three years. Full Time/ Part Time appointment is given based on the tasks identified and responsibilities assigned.
- (b) Profile: Selected candidates will be persons of repute/eminence (typically be or have been senior managers) with a strong track record with substantial contributions to their fields and currently have extensive networks of contacts in the field. They will be people who have the potential to contribute uniquely and substantially to the Institute and in the field of engineering.
- (c) Eligibility Criteria: The eligibility criteria and the necessary qualifications will be based on the courses and/or research activities for which such faculty are being hired. The candidates must preferably hold a PhD, but it is not an essential criterion. However, this requirement will be waived if she/he is a graduate in any discipline from a reputed educational institute with over 15 years of industry experience for Professor of Practice. The applicant will have specialist knowledge in the domain, expertise that will complement the available expertise within IIIT-Delhi and be able to bring practice-oriented teaching frameworks into the classroom.
- (d) Compensation: The overall compensation will be equivalent to that of a Professor in the visiting faculty consolidated scale, which is defined from time to time by the Board. The compensation of a part-time faculty is proportionate to the number of days expected in the appointment (e.g. a half-time appointment will be offered half of the full-time consolidated). The part-time faculty member is paid proportionate remuneration to the weekly workload of the full time faculty member. Additional allowances may be permitted by the Director on a case-by-case basis.
- (e) Housing: These faculty members will not be eligible for campus housing.
- (f) All faculty in this category will be governed by the Act, Statutes, Ordinances, and Board decisions.
- 4. Eligible for Tenure: No.
- 5. Terms of service: This category does not convey membership in the Academic Senate. Appointees in this category are not eligible for sabbatical leave, but are eligible for other types of leave with pay in accordance with the institute's policies.
- 6. How to Apply: Interested applicants may register and apply online by uploading the following documents:
- (a) A recent resume with details of academic qualifications and work experience - specifying the major achievements and contributions and positions and responsibilities held.
- (b) A covering note mentioning how the applicant can add value to the Institute mentioning a few areas of contribution.
Candidates selected for the position are expected to join the Institute on a full-time basis and involve themselves fully in Institutional activities.
Qualified and interested applicants may send a detailed resume and other relevant information via email to the Dean Faculty at email@example.com with the subject of the email as "Professor of Practice Position in CSE/ ECE/ Math/ HCD/ CB/ SSH".
- 7. General Information and Conditions:
- Since it is a rolling advertisement, positions will remain open until filled. Applications received will be reviewed once a semester against positions not filled.
- The Institute reserves the right not to fill any position or select any candidate without assigning any reason.
- Merely fulfilling the minimum qualifications and experience will not confer on any candidate the right to be called for an interview or to be selected.
- The Institute will communicate only with shortlisted candidates.
- No correspondence will be entertained during the process.
- Canvassing in any form will result in disqualification.
- The date of joining for selected candidates will be subject to mutual agreement.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.