Faculty Recruitment in US (Nov 2011)
IIIT-Delhi, a State University with a mission to become a world class R&D-led Institute in IT and allied areas, will be conducting selections for faculty positions in CS and EE in Nov, 2011 in Seattle, USA. Short listed candidates will be invited to meet the selection committee at University of Washington, Seattle, Nov 18-19, 2011. Offers to the selected candidates will be made within two weeks after that.
The selections in US have been postponed for early 2012 and are likely be held in multiple cities in US. For candidates who wish to be considered early, selections will be done in Delhi early Nov, 2011.
IIIT-Delhi for an Academic Career
Areas of Interest
IIIT Delhi is looking for tenure-track faculty to build strong research groups in various areas of CS, EE, and interdisciplinary areas. Areas of interest include (but are not limited to) Software Engineering and Programming Languages, Networks, Digital Media, Machine Learning, Healthcare Informatics, Algorithms and Theory, VLSI and CAD, Energy Systems and Technologies, Biomedical Electronics and Systems, Computer Architecture, Embedded and Control Systems, as well as interdisciplinary areas like IT and Society (i.e. Sociological Policy, Economic Aspects), Computational Biology and Neuroscience, IT and Agriculture, etc.
Research, Innovation and Development
The Institute has a strong focus on research, innovation, and development to make an impact through published papers, technologies, and deployments. It has already built some strong research groups, and is looking to strengthen them and develop more areas. It has a strong focus on PhD program (it has instituted various policies to attract PhD students and has already recruited 20 scholars in two years). It provides initiation research grant, support for travel for the first few years, support for professional membership, etc. It has implemented the systems of yearly appraisal/feedback and tenure to help faculty members aim high and prevent complacency from setting in.
The Institute also aims to provide excellent education. The BTech(CSE) Program has many innovative concepts like starting with the CS courses, allowing long duration projects, streams to allow limited specializations in CS/ECE as well as interdisciplinary areas, etc. In the MTech program, it has both thesis and non-thesis options, and possibility of specialization in areas like Security, data management, etc. It is starting its EE programs in 2012.
Compensation and Quality of Life
The institute provides a decent compensation (appx Rs 1 Lacs/month total for a starting Asst. Prof.), and allows a faculty member to supplement it through research grants, summer sabbaticals in R&D labs/companies, consultancy, etc. It will soon have a modern campus at Okhla, with a Metro station within ½ km, where it will have modern, good quality, and spacious accommodation for faculty. Delhi is widely regarded as one of the best cities in India for living, with excellent air and train connectivity.
The desired profile is: BTech/BE from a good Institute, PhD from a top Institution in India or abroad, good research and publication track record, and a solid future potential. Applicants will be requested for a research statement, a teaching statement, and may be requested for transcripts, and copies of some of the papers. Each candidate is expected to give a technical seminar to IIIT-Delhi faculty over electronic media.
Important Dates and Timings
For applying: Oct 30, 2011
E-seminars: Oct and Nov, 2011
Selections: Fri, Nov 18 (and Sat, Nov 19, if needed). Broad scheduled is:
- Fri, Nov 18, University of Washington:
- 10-11am: Presentation on IIIT-Delhi (Room TBD)
- 11am-2pm: Individual meetings with some faculty members
- 2pm-5pm: Selection committee interactions (Room TBD)
Decisions to be communicated within two weeks.
- From the applications received, candidates are short-listed for further evaluation. The main criteria for short listing: the candidate should have a strong education background, PhD from a reputed Institute in India or abroad, and a good research record.
- The following information is obtained from the short listed candidates:
- (1) latest CV
- (2) names of three references (who are then requested to send letters)
- (3) a short research statement describing the type of research the candidate wants to pursue in the coming years.
- (4) a teaching statement listing some core and some advanced courses the candidate would like to teach.
- (5) if needed, we request pdf of a few of the best papers already published.
- The candidate is invited to give a technical seminar to the faculty through electronic media (e.g. over teleconferencing, with ppts controlled locally).
- Suggested structure of the seminar (appx 40 mts): Give a brief overview of your background, the problem area and its relevance, and overall contributions. The describe one work in detail. Finally, end with future work you want to pursue.
- Based on the seminar, a further short listing is done. The short listed candidates are invited to interact with the selection committee, which is a committee of experts. Generally, this interaction starts with a short presentation by the candidate on his/her research, future plans etc (about 5-10 mts). The committee members ask questions, seek clarifications/views, etc..
- The selection committee makes the final recommendations. After the recommendations are accepted, the offer letter is issued. The candidate is generally informed within two weeks of the selection committee interaction, if he/she is selected.
For applying, send an email with your CV containing the names of at least three referees to the following email addresses:
- For CS, email to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc to Prof Pankaj Jalote, Director, at email@example.com. Subject of the email should be "Faculty position in CS in IIIT Delhi"
- For EE, email to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc to Prof Sumit Roy, External Consulting Chairman of EE at email@example.com and Prof. Pankaj Jalote, Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject of the email should be "Faculty position in EE in IIIT Delhi"
- Invited candidates will be reimbursed for their travel (and related expenses) to meet the selection committee based on receipts (max: $500).
- Candidates who are offered a position and who are keen to join will be invited to visit the Institute (a support up to Rs 60,000 will be provided.)
- Download Flier for CS Positions
- Download Flier for EE Positions
- Sabbatical Opportunities at IIIT-Delhi
- Why IIIT-Delhi?